[MPlayer-users] will mplayer do a 3:2 pulldown on 24 fps video when ofps=29.97?

Brian Craft bcboy at thecraftstudio.com
Fri Feb 21 00:02:29 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 05:40:38PM -0500, mplayer at interlinx.bc.ca wrote:
> I am.  dfbmga.  I don't think any patches have been sent to to support
> this, because to do it effectively you have to display and wait for
> vsync in a separate thread (or starve the demuxer/decoder thread) and
> we all know what A'rpi thinks of threads.  In fact I have been meaning
> to bring up this issue here for a while.  Maybe my next message...

Yeah, this really is an on-going problem. The xp fork is too far behind to be
useful. It's unfortunate that threading wasn't maintained as a patch -- like
other notable oss projects that were too intrusive or controversial (low
latency patches, uml, etc.), it could have remained relevant that way.

> material is 24 frames/s or not.  This sucks when you are using MPlayer
> in a PVR like project where material can be both 24 frames/s and 59.94
> fields/s.

I'm considering a digital projector for this purpose. Prices are comparable to
hdtvs, they take up less room, they're easier to transport, and they're
multisync. I don't really understand the appeal of televisions right now. It
seems like the industry is lagging behind what you can do with a pc and a
digital display.

b.c.