[MPlayer-users] will mplayer do a 3:2 pulldown on 24 fps video when ofps=29.97?

mplayer at interlinx.bc.ca mplayer at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Feb 20 22:51:22 CET 2003

I have just read through the discussion(s) regarding the reverse
telecine filter that Richard is working on.  This is cool.  But it
brings up an issue.  In general, reverse telecineing hard telecined
material and the ofps adjustment that is done for soft telecined
materal are good, if for nothing else, bitrate savings.

But what if my output device has a fixed display rate, like a
television for instance?  I would in that case, when playing back the
24fps material, want to display it with a 3:2 pulldown.  Can MPlayer
do this (yet)?

This need for a 3:2 pulldown on 24fps material almost needs to be
automatically detected and employed though.  I could have serveral
files I want to play, some that really are (recorded at) 59.94
fields/s and some that are 24 frames/s.  I don't want to have to
manually inspect each file prior to playing it to see if I need to
enable (i.e. with command line switches) the 3:2 pulldown.

It could be perhaps that if -ofps=29.97[1] and the input is 24
frames/s, 3:2 pulldown is automatically enabled.

[1] or even better, an mnemonic like "ntsc" (-ofps=ntsc) so that one
    could play 24 frames/s video at 29.97 without 3:2 pulldown by
    specfying 29.97 rather than the "ntsc" mnemonic)

Thots?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell