[MPlayer-users] wich graphic card?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Feb 18 22:43:50 CET 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 10:05:06PM +0100, Olivier Warin wrote:
> hello!
> firsat of all: sorry for writing something a little offtopic. and for the fact
> that it it isn't really something for such a mailinglist.
> i just want to be sure, because i had some big troubles with mi geforce2
> card...
>
> i want to buy a new graphic card. so i want to watch dvd's, divx etc. with
> mplayer. and everthing sould run with the no a-v sync problems. or something.
> here is my system:
> linux (kernel 2.4.19) on a
> celeron 1.2 ghz cpu
> 512mb sd ram
> 16 bit onboard sound
>
> so my idea is to buy cheap card without great 3d rendering features. because i
> don't need it.
> but i want a card wich works great with mplayer ;)
>
> i would have chosen this one:
> Matrox G550 32MB DualHead AGP
>
> is this card good for mplayer?
> would you say, that this card is a good idea. or should i look for another
> one?
>
> thanks alot for a reply..
>
> sorry again for this stupid question. i just want to be sure.

I would suggest going with a G400 instead of a G550. I don't know
too much about the 550, but the 450 was actually a somewhat crippled
version of the 400. In any case, I imagine the driver support for the
400 is a good bit better than for the 550.

It's probably a bit hard to find a 400 these days, but plenty of them
go on eBay. Just check and make sure the card has TV out support if
you need it. The amount of ram (16 vs 32) is probably irrelevant
unless you care about the 3D. Also be aware that some people are
selling the card without the TV out cable. However, you can probably
buy the cable somewhere else or make one (really cheap and easy) using
the pinouts on Matrox's site.

Rich