[MPlayer-users] playing DVD

gabor gabor at z10n.net
Tue Feb 18 16:33:46 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 14:53, janik wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to use mplayer to play DVD,
> can somebody give me a help how to configure??
>
> I am using Debian woody and last release of mplayer.
> I have SoundBlaster 5.1 Digital
>
> I can play divix movies and DVD too, but:
>
> sound is only stereo. I am trying find help how to set up my linux to
> use my SoundBlaster 5.1 digital with all stuff so mplayer should play
> DVD and using dolby digital decoder of SoundBlaster.
>
> maybe it's not question for this mailing list, but I think that users of
> mplayer should know some tricks :-)

1. it's questionable whether sblive5.1 has a hardware dolby digital
decoder.

2. what do you want?:
	a. do you want to watch a movie with ac3 sound with 4(6) analog
speakers?
		-do you have oss? :
			"mplayer -channels 4 my.avi"
		-do you have alsa? :
			"mplayer -channels 4 -ao alsa9:surround40 my.avi"

	b. do you want to watch a movie with ac3 sound using an external ac3
decoder?
		-you have to work with 'mplayer -ac hwac3' and read the mailing list +
read DOCS/tech/hwac3.txt on how to set it up.

gabor