[MPlayer-users] Feature request: transcode's smartdeinter filter.

James Bostick Crowson jbcrowso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Feb 18 05:44:42 CET 2003

While mplayer's current best deinterlacer (-vop pp=lb) works very well for
removing interlacing artifacts, it's not the best when it comes to
preserving detail in still scenes - it's not motion-adaptive at all.
Transcode has had for a while a much better adaptive filter, smartdeinter
(GPL - it's actually a port of VirtualDub's smart deinterlacer plugin).
Unfortunately transcode is not very useful for realtime playback. :) This
filter detects moving areas of images and only deinterlaces them, so it
preserves detail on still scenes.  This is especially useful for anime,
which has quite a lot of still scenes that pp=lb blurs.

Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to add this myself, so I thought I
would call attention to some good code that is out there.