[MPlayer-users] A/V-Sync problem when playing from stdin.

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Tue Feb 18 00:16:50 CET 2003

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 09:29:48AM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 08:07:45PM +0100, Josef Wolf wrote:
> >
> > > I've noticed a A/V-sync problem when I play mpeg files from stdin.
> > > "cat x.mpg | mplayer -" plays the sound about 0.5 sec too late. When
> > > I play the same file with "mplayer x.mpg" or "mplayer - <x.mpg" it is
> > > syncronized properly.
> > >
> > > Is this a known problem?
> >
> > I forgot to mention the version: 0.90-rc4
>
> upload sample file and (.txt) description

Since I have no simple way to upload a file, I tried to find
a file with this effect on your server. And I found that they
_all_ fail _completely_ to play the video when they are played
like "cat foo.mpg|mplayer -". However, they play fine with
"mplayer - <foo.mpg". Check Alien.mpg just as an example. I
think the problem is that pipes are not seekable.

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw at raven.inka.de --