[MPlayer-users] MPlayer performance degradation after system upgrade

Thierry Delaitre delaitt at cpc.wmin.ac.uk
Sun Feb 16 20:29:38 CET 2003

Hi,

I've just upgraded my PIII/800 from redhat 7.0 to redhat 8.0 with kernel
2.4.18-24.8.0. I'm using MPlayer-0.90rc4 with DXR3 (em8300-13.0) support.

Performance does not seem to be as good as it used to be. MPlayer is now
much more sentitive to CPU load. Before I could compile a program or
browse the web at the same time as watching a DIVX or DVD on my DXR3
without noticing any frames being dropped. Also, if I play DVDs, I can
hear & see the sound & video stopping briefly for few milliseconds every
few seconds even when there are no other cpu bound processes running.

What do I need to investigate in order to remedy this ?

Cheers,

Thierry.