[MPlayer-users] detecting telecine

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Feb 16 18:16:42 CET 2003

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 05:28:46PM +0300, Vladimir I. Umnov wrote:
> How to manully enable inverse telecine fx?

You can't. MPlayer's "inverse telecine fix" is really just a matter of
correctly recognizing the framerate in movies that have been 'soft'
telecined by putting the wrong framerate in the headers, and it will
always be enabled if applicable. If the movie has been 'hard'
telecined (actually doing the bogus interlacing in telecine fashion)
you're going to need some fancier work to repair it. If you just want
to get rid of the interlacing, -vop pp=md will do the job pretty well,
but you'll still be left with some duplicated frames. Using -ofps
23.976 with mencoder might help, if it decides to drop the correct
frames, but it might drop the wrong ones instead... Someone posted a
filter on -dev-eng to detect and drop the actual duplicates, but it's
a lot more complicated than it needs to be, so it'll probably be a
while before this is merged into mplayer.

Rich