[MPlayer-users] libdvdread problem [BUG?]

André Weidemann Andre.Weidemann at web.de
Sun Feb 16 11:44:00 CET 2003

Hi,
I'm sending this e-mail to both Ogle und Mplayer mailing list since it
concerns both.

A friend of mine is using libdvdread 0.9.3, libcss 1.2.2, Mplayer0.90rc4
and Ogle-0.8.5 .
When trying to play a DVD with mplayer or ogle he gets the following error:
libdvdread: Can't seek to block 256
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
Can't open VMG info!

I have read a thread on both groups where this behaviour was reported
before, but there was no solution :-(.
( http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2002-September/021173.html
   http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/ogle-user/2002-June/000545.html )

We set up everything like this:
chmod 666 /dev/hdc
ln -s /dev/hdc/ /dev/dvd
We did not tweak anything with hdparm.

We then compiled both libdvdread and libdvdcss and did a "make install"
The drive is a Matshita SR-8587.
We even looked for another firmware for the Matshita and installed an
RPC-1  from http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=1&manufactor=18
That also did not make the problem go away.
I can mount the DVD-ROM with UDF and ISO9660 and can always see whats on
there but mplayer and ogle cannot play it.

btw: When we use a Lite-On LTD 165-H instead, everything works just fine.

André.