[MPlayer-users] newbie questions

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Feb 16 06:57:00 CET 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 18:11, Daniel Hauck wrote:
> While I appreciate the power of command-line driven actions, one cannot
> escape that the one thing that will make Linux appear on the desktop is
> functional GUI interfaces and tools.  It's essentially necessary that
> the GUI function as the end user would expect.  CLI tools are great for
> those who prefer them, but if reality is factored in, it should be found
> that it's a tiny minority who prefer the CLI.

No one is denying that.
Mplayer is at 0.90rc4 - and (as was stated) the gui isn't mature yet.
That doesn't mean they won't try to make the gui more mature and user
friendly. It already has a lot of really nice touches.

For example - in full screen mode, the controller auto hides when mouse
moved away and re-appears when you bring the mouse back to it. That's
really nice.

They are working on a lot of niceties - it's just not 100% there yet.
No one is shoving cli down your throat - the cli was offered because it
does what you want it to NOW.

> One of the reasons Linux on the desktop is being held back is that the
> programmers are designing the user interface.  Different programmers
> with different styles create varied user interfaces.  Varied user
> interfaces creates a chaotic user experience.  This leads to an
> understandable reluctance to use Linux tools over Windows tools which do
> offer the unified user interface that virtually any user can understand
> and use effectively.

Bull shit.
Sorry - but what we have with different user interfaces is choice of
what is liked. Some prefer gnome, some prefer kde, I prefer WindowMaker
- and even though most of the apps I use are technically "kde" or
"gnome" apps and not WindowMaker apps - my desktop is a lot more
consistent interface wise than many Windows desktops out there.

I've heard that argument a million times - and it just isn't the case.

--
Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com>