[MPlayer-users] vobs

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Feb 14 17:57:18 CET 2003

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 06:46:41PM +0200, Jan Knutar wrote:
> > If you want to make a 15-cd rip of your dvd, be my guest. However
> > this is total nonsense since you'd have to swap discs every few
> > minutes to watch it, and since sharing such massive files is not
> > feasible.
>
> Hm, anyone ever noticed the reading from CD-R's seems to be much
> slower than writing to them?... Would you hit a I/O bottleneck with 15
> CD's per DVD? :)

Nope. A 1x cdrom drive is a plenty fast to play single-cd divx, so a
15x would be a plenty to play 15-cd. :) These super-fast cdrom drives
nowadays are just marketing propeganda, maybe useful to the windows
users installing 5-cd games and stuff, but they have no real point for
normal applications.

BTW, hdparm can be used to slow your fast cdrom drive down to 10x or
so, so that it doesn't make the "buzzsaw" sound during your movies. :)

Rich