[MPlayer-users] DVD time messes up subtitle

Michael Lehmeier m_lehmeier at gmx.de
Fri Feb 14 02:46:40 CET 2003

From: Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de>
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:20:49PM +0100, Michael Lehmeier wrote:
> > I noticed that with at least one of my DVDs resets the time
(displayed
> > with the o-button) to 00:00:00 after one hour and six minutes.
> > This would not be a problem if it wouldn't restart the subtitles
that I
> > had such a hard time creating in the middle of the movie.

> Hmmm, I had a DVD that resetted the time in the middle. It played
> without any problems (but this was about a half year ago. I dunno
> about current versions.) How did you play it?

Oh, it plays fine.
I just can't jump to a later point with the -ss option (not a problem)
and the subtitles reset at that point. (real problem)
BTW, I played the DVD on the standalone player and it didn't do that
reset so it probably really *is* a mplayer problem.

> > Originally I created SVCD subtitles but mplayer can't display them
> > (yet?).

> How did you create them? What format did you use? A while ago, Arpi
> wrote that the SVCD subtitle format is not documented. This is the
> reason why mplayer can't handle SVCD subtitles. I searched for some
> information on that topic, but could not find anything either. So if
> you have informations, please share. :)

http://www.vcdimager.org/pub/vcdimager/contribs/svcd-subtitles.tar.gz

It is nothing more than a hack, long since abandoned and a little buggy
but all in all it works. So no, there is no good documentation but
apparently enough to create subtitles.

First I ripped the DVD subtitles, translated them, turned the
translation into graphics with a GIMP script I wrote and another script
to adjust the timestamps. Then I used that tool to add them to the SVCD
mpegs.

My standalone player displays them. Every now and then a line is missing
or mixed with another subtitle but not often.

It was a lot of work, but I really wanted to make a present for my
mother's birthday and at the same time keep the japanese subtitles.
But now my parents have their own DVD player that doesn't display SVCD
subtitles so I have to hard-encode them.