ATI rage128 tv-out on mdk 9.0 [WAS: Re: [MPlayer-users] Re: RH8: Can't Use VESA, Even As Root]

Jaanek Oja jaanek at aqris.com
Thu Feb 13 15:41:12 CET 2003

Hi Dan,

Thanks very much for your instructions. I tried the first one but didn't
succeed.

Anyway I can see some motion (I say motion because it rolls & flickers.)
on the tv screen after running the
"./mplayer -vo vesa:vidix movie.avi" (being in init 3 level & also in
level 5 (with X)). Nevertheless, on that motion on the TV screen the
characters are not recognizeable (even whether they are characters).
Only comparing the the basic motion on PC screen & TV screen it is
sensible that the same disturbed signal actually is shown on TV.

What I have done is that I have connected the ATI RCA (composite) out
with my TV antenna input (not Video in with RCA plug) with tv antenna
cable. Or should I connect into Video in (RCA plug on TV side)? But if I
do that then I cannot see a thing, also no motion anymore that was if
connected ATI RCA out with TV antenna in. Maybe someone can comment
whether this is right way to connect card with PC? I assume the correct
way is connect ATI RCA out with TV Video in (RCA plug) but as I said I
cannot see nothing if connected so. P.S. I can see video via VCR.

Dan, you said that you can see text messages on TV screen as your PC
boots? I cannot see anything if my system boots, I see the above
mentioned motion after I execute the above mplayer command. Before that
there is only a rustle on my TV screen & also after the mplayer command
finishes.
I seems you have installed some kind of video driver that can activate
also Video out in boot time?

The ATI card initialization snapshot from XFree.0.log. I cannot see any
that kind of info from /var/log/messages file. How can I make the kernel
to use this driver also so that the tv-out is activated on boot time. Or
is it even possible?

(II) R128(0): initializing int10 (nil)
(II) R128(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(--) R128(0): Chipset: "ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF (AGP)" (ChipID = 0x5446)
(--) R128(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xe4000000
(--) R128(0): MMIO registers at 0xe8020000
(--) R128(0): VideoRAM: 32768 kByte (128-bit SDR SGRAM 1:1)
(WW) R128(0): Can't determine panel dimensions, and none
specified.                           Disabling programming of FP registers.
(II) R128(0): PLL parameters: rf=2950 rd=65 min=12500 max=35000; xclk=12000
(II) Loading sub module "ddc"
(II) LoadModule: "ddc"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a
(II) Module ddc: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.5
(II) Loading sub module "vbe"
(II) LoadModule: "vbe"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvbe.a
(II) Module vbe: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.5
(II) R128(0): VESA BIOS detected
(II) R128(0): VESA VBE Version 2.0
(II) R128(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 32768 kB
(II) R128(0): VESA VBE OEM: ATI RAGE128
(II) R128(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 1.0
(II) R128(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
(II) R128(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: R128
(II) R128(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: 01.00

\Jaanek