[MPlayer-users] Should this work with MPlayer?

Remco B. Brink remco at rc6.org
Tue Feb 11 10:58:50 CET 2003

<quote who="Kaare Rasmussen">

> DOCS/bugreports.html] I'm trying to feed this URI to MPlayer:
>
> mms://media.xstream.dk/fckstream/replay01.wmv
>
> but after a long time of waiting, it apparantly receives 3814 byte and
> tells me that there's no sound and no video.

It works great with MPlayer under Linux.

> Should MPlayer be able to play this link, or am I expecting too much
> (yet) ?

>From http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/serve/firewall.aspx :

"Windows Media normally streams via UDP/IP on a wide range of ports.
Microsoft is aware of the possible security issues which this can cause,
so we have also enabled Windows Media to stream with TCP/IP through a
single port (1755). For those sites where opening a non-"well-known
port" is a problem, Windows Media can also stream via HTTP on port 80.
Note that HTTP streaming from Windows Media Services is _disabled_ by
default."

MPlayer currently defaults to trying port 80 on mms:// streams, unless
you specify the port specifically.

You can view this stream by using the following URL:
  mms://media.xstream.dk:1755/fckstream/replay01.wmv

-rbb

--
   Remco B. Brink -- Information Systems Developer, Opera Software ASA
   Personal site at http://rc6.org - PGP key at http://rc6.org/rbb.pgp