[MPlayer-users] performance vs. wm, or gnome?

Brian Craft bcboy at thecraftstudio.com
Mon Feb 10 22:04:33 CET 2003

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 08:54:32PM +0100, Bartek Kulicki wrote:
> i can't agree - I use RH8, their gcc, gnome2[1] AND NVidia binary driver
> (which supposed to be not "a very good choice under Linux") and it works
> great. Brian uses Matrox card which supposed to be even faster with > other video outputs - unfortunetly he didnt include any -v output. I bet
> its a problem with his X server and video drivers.

I didn't have this performance problem with rh7.1. I've run the rh7.1 X server
and driver (same binaries) on rh8.0 -- and it shows the same performance drop.
So I don't see how they could be the problem. Something else has changed in
rh8.0.

Metacity is part of it. I don't know what it's doing when no windows are being
moved, but it has a marked effect on playback performance.

But there's something more significant that is dragging down performance which
I haven't identified, yet. I suspect libc. Tonight I'm going to chroot to a
full set of rh7.1 binaries and see what I can find.

b.c.