[MPlayer-users] Re: RH8: Can't Use VESA, Even As Root
jaanek at aqris.com
Mon Feb 10 17:10:39 CET 2003
I had the same problem with my mandrake 9.0 using the vesa output as
Xavier described in his posts.
I could finally run mplayer using vesa output after I had downgraded my
glibc-2.2.5 -> glibc-2.2.4 .
I have one problem through, I couldn't get my tv-out working with ATI
Rage 128 card. I plugged the cable into TV after booting the system.
Isn't it so that the ati card has to be switched manually using the
atitvout tool? I cannot use that tool as test.sh fails for all tests as
it seems to me. I cannot switch also to PAL system using that tool (I
assume it's needed)? It nevertheless shows some not easily identified
figures on my TV as I put the TV to auto search the channels but the
auto search skipps it.
Have to figure it out what I'm doing wrong with TV output. Is there
tools/a way to detect the tv-out is supposed to work but the problem
lies in cable or card setting?
> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> Dan8827 wrote:
>> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
>> Thanks to those who have contributed ideas so far. I haven't fixed this
>> yet, but I might have learned more about the problem. I've done some
>> experimenting, and some reading on this list and Google. Also, I booted
>> into Redhat 7.0, ran the same file (successfully) , and compared the
>> messages to those on Redhat 8.0. Here's what I've learned:
>> 1. The "VO: Comment: Requires ROOT privileges" is apparently for
>> information only, not an indication that it failed to obtain root
>> privileges. I get the same message on Redhat 7.0 when VESA is
>> 2. I gave fbdev a try, but without success. I believe that's not
>> supported in Redhat, and I'm not looking to build my own kernel just
>> yet. I could be wrong here - I'll admit I haven't R'd the FM when it
>> comes to fbdev.
>> 3. Switching to gentoo apparently won't help, as there was a post today
>> from a gentoo user with the same difficulty. :)
>> Here's a portion of the output from mplayer under Redhat:
>> VO Config (640x360->640x360,flags=1,'MPlayer',0x32315659)
>> VO: [vesa] 640x360 => 640x360 Planar YV12 [fs]
>> VO: Description: VESA VBE 2.0 video output
>> VO: Author: Nick Kurshev <nickols_k at mail.ru>
>> VO: Comment: Requires ROOT privileges
>> [?25lvo_vesa: Found VESA VBE BIOS Version 2.0 Revision: 100
>> vo_vesa: Video memory: 32768 Kb
>> vo_vesa: VESA Capabilities: 8-bit DAC, VGA CRTC, normal RAMDAC, no
>> stereoscopic, no stereo
>> vo_vesa: !!! Below will be printed OEM info. !!!
>> vo_vesa: You should watch 5 OEM related lines below else you've broken
>> vo_vesa: OEM info: ATI RAGE128
>> vo_vesa: OEM Revision: 100
>> vo_vesa: OEM vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
>> vo_vesa: OEM Product Name: R128
>> vo_vesa: OEM Product Rev: 01.00
>> vo_vesa: Hint: To get workable TV-Out you should have plugged
>> tv-connector in
>> vo_vesa: before booting PC since VESA BIOS initializes itself only
>> during POST
>> vo_vesa: Requested mode: 640x360 at 16 (Planar YV12)
>> vo_vesa: Total modes found: 56
>> On Redhat 8, the message immediately after "VO: Comment: Requires ROOT
>> privileges" was "Killed", at which point mplayer stops.
>> As seen above, Redhat 7.0 continues with the following message:
>> "vo_vesa: Found VESA VBE BIOS Version 2.0 Revision: 100"
>> ...so I'd presume the problem is somehow related to the VESA BIOS. Any
>> thoughts on what might cause Redhat 8 to stumble at this point? It's
>> the same video card between 7.0 and 8.0. Also, X appears to be
>> accessing the VBE BIOS under 8.0 without a problem; here's a bit from
>> (II) Loading sub module "vbe"
>> (II) LoadModule: "vbe"
>> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvbe.a
>> (II) Module vbe: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
>> compiled for 4.2.0, module version = 1.0.0
>> ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.5
>> (II) R128(0): VESA BIOS detected
>> (II) R128(0): VESA VBE Version 2.0
>> (II) R128(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 32768 kB
>> (II) R128(0): VESA VBE OEM: ATI RAGE128
>> (II) R128(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 1.0
>> (II) R128(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
>> (II) R128(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: R128
>> (II) R128(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: 01.00
>> Any advice on what the check next?
>> Thanks again.
> I already posted this in a previous thread, but I repost here:
> I use a mandrake, and since mdk9, I can't use anymore VESA output. I
> found the problem comes from the glibc: mdk8.2 used glibc-2.2.4, and
> mdk9 uses glibc-2.2.5.
> The test is simple:
> mdk9 + glibc-2.2.5 => segfault
> mdk9 + glibc-2.2.4 => it works
> I don't know if it can help, but as far as I know redhat also changed
> glibc version between 7.0 and 8.0.
> Someone else also suggested there is a bug with ext3 filesystem.
> Quoting Nick Kurshev:
> "If you have EXT3FS then try recompile mplayer without win32 support.
> Win32loader uses threads but it's known that
> or use ext2fs instead!"
> but for me it works in certain conditions!
> RTFM!!! http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/DOCS
> Search: http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/cgi-bin/htsearch
More information about the MPlayer-users