[MPlayer-users] performance vs. wm, or gnome?

Marcin Bukat wodz at soliton.ch.pw.edu.pl
Mon Feb 10 10:39:09 CET 2003

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>Continuing my search for video performance problems in rh8.0, I just found that
>if I create a minimal .xinitrc with an xterm and sawfish, I can play back full
>frame rate dvd with mplayer or gmplayer.
>
>Anyone know how metacity, nautilus, gnome-session, etc., might be affecting
>this?
>
>The machine is still struggling more than it should, but at least it's
>basically working. I also tried running the xf86 4.1.0 server from rh7.1 to see
>if that had any effect, and ran x11perf against it. Notably, the 4.1.0 server
>(rh7.1 binaries) running on rh8.0 scores the same as the 4.2.0 server --
>significantly slower than the same server running on rh7.1. So something else
>has changed to cause the slow-down. glibc?

gnome/kde is cpu hog in my opinion. They are pretty, easy to use but add
cpu/memory noticeable overhead. I felt big difference when I  quit
 using such advanced graphic enviroments.
Another problem is that Red Hat is distributed with modified gcc
compiler, kernel and other apps. I have  strange problems derived from
this until I changed distro. I don't want to begin flame war I only want
to point possible reason of strange behavior.

wo