[MPlayer-users] Verification on Instructions Requested

Martin Pavon martin_199ar at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Feb 10 06:19:36 CET 2003

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 07:11:32PM -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> I've written a DVD howto that involves building MPlayer.
>
> While I am certainly not new to Linux, other than on my Macs I have not
> had a linux box with a sound card until very recently, and hence did not
> use multimedia apps such as MPlayer.
>
> I would appreciate it if some people here would review my instructions
> regarding building MPlayer so that if they need to be adjusted, they can
> be.
>
> The instructions for building MPlayer are at
> http://homepage.mac.com/mpeters/DVD/index.html#mplayer
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com>

Hi Michael !!!!

I've just  read your page,  a very fast read  indeed. I can't  say anything
about the  install procedure but  I wish to point  you that you  don't need
transcode (that is a very good  program neither dvd::rip which is excellent
too if you like the graphics apps) to rip and encode dvds. You can rip with
mplayer

mplayer -dvd 1 -dumpstream -dumpfile name_of_vobs.vob

And to encode  you can try with  mencoder (you compile it  when you compile
mplayer). Mencoder is a  command line apps. but I think  there is a graphic
front end called acidrip (I didn't tried it)

May be  your idea is rip  & encode with transcode/dvdrip,  but perphaps the
readers  of your  page want  to know  that they  can do  all the  work with
mplayer only.

Regards,

Martín

--