[MPlayer-users] upgrading

Martin Pavon martin_199ar at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Feb 10 06:05:59 CET 2003

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 09:44:58PM -0600, Jason wrote:
> as of right now, are there any ways to be able to upgrade mplayer?  will
> recompiling and reinstalling the source overwrite the previous version?
>
> i ask because im using slackware, and dont really wanna have to keep
> making my own packages if i can... (as mplayer pkg's are released with
> slackware).
>
> thanks,
> jason s.

Hi !!!!!

You can run mplayer/mencoder from the  sources directory so you haven't any
problem with reinstalling  etc. (I do this usually to  try news versions or
cvs  without lost  the  working version)  Any  way, I  suggest  you to  try
checkinstall (look for it in freshmeat) to install soft. You compile the as
usual and to install instead of make install run checkinstall; it generates
the slack package so you can remove easily with removepkg or pkgtools

Regards

Martín

PS: Checkinstall also create RH and debian package, but I don't try them.
--
Martín Pavón
martin_199ar at yahoo.com.ar
http://mate.dm.uba.ar/~mpavon/