[MPlayer-users] Bitrate filesize problem (2)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Feb 10 00:00:44 CET 2003

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 05:49:10PM +0000, Martin Collins wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 19:14:04 -0800
> rcooley <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> > It's obvious that it isn't as good as the source.  It's a very rough
> > picture, and it get's VERY blocky when there is a lot of movement.
> > This is from a source that wasn't all that clean to begin with, so
> > it's a major step-down in quality.
>
> Yes, I would expect that even if it used all 526 kbits. For a 718x432
> movie you will need at least 900kb/s to approach acceptable quality.
> I would do some denoising (pp options) then scale to 352x224.
> Even then getting a 2.75 hour movie on one CD is optimistic.

Scaling down to that size will make the movie look much much worse.
Unless you can encode with constant qscale 1 or 2, it'll be really
ugly at such low res.

A much better approach would be applying strong denoise3d and/or
gaussian blur, then using very strong adaptive quantization (*_mask
and naq options) and single coefficient elimination (maybe vcelim=10,
vlelim=-7).

Also keep in mind that it won't look very good until after the second
pass (vpass=2)!

> And use the -ofps 23.976 thing that Richard suggested.

This should help a LOT.

Rich