[MPlayer-users] denoise3d and encoding DVD

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Feb 7 17:19:37 CET 2003

I've found that most of my DVD's have a certain high-resolution
grainy-ness to them, and that by using the denoise3d filter like this:
-vop scale=700:376,denoise3d,crop=716:480:2:0
right after cropping and before scaling I can increase the PSNR
somewhat. I've thrown a few short clips into the test, and it seems for
high motion scenes the PSNR increases by about 0.5, whereas for low
motion scenes the PSNR is raised by up to 2.

I'm pretty lousy at recognizing which encodings actually _look_ better,
though, so I can't say for sure whether the denoising is a Good Thing.

Has anyone else ever messed around with denoise3d? So far I've only used
the default parameters, but I'll try some others.

-Corey