[MPlayer-users] mencoder on slow CPU

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Feb 7 16:31:52 CET 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:20:44AM +0300, Eugene Morozov wrote:
> Does anyone with the older hardware can recommend suitable mencoder
> options?

i use this on my cely 400 @ 500:
mencoder \
 -tv on:driver=v4l:width=384:height=288:volume=59000:audiorate=22050:amode=0:forcechan=1 \
 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=4:keyint=300 \
 -oac copy

the video quality is very good (usually no artefacts at all), except
that the resolution is ridiculously small.

the fastest mp3 audio with acceptable quality is something like
vbr=4,q=5,fast,mode=0 - but that is still too slow by a few percent.
so i have to use raw audio. the audio stream is somewhat crippled with
the above setting to save some space - but the lack of stereo does not
matter that much, given that the visual effects don't look that good at
the resolution anyway (so you don't really want to use it for home
cinema). 22.05 sampling rate are fully ok.

huffyuv was also too slow in full-screen mode. maybe it would work out
with width=768:height=288. anyway, the amount of data is simply too
large for my disk space.

i'm wondering if it would be possible to do real-time auto-crop and
create a variable resolution movie?

greetings