[MPlayer-users] running mplayer as background process ? ENGLISH

Steven Adeff adeffs at rpi.edu
Thu Feb 6 23:07:53 CET 2003

I have a mediabox near my stereo that i use as an mp3 server, and to listen to
and watch internet streams. I have a radio station I'd like to be able to
play the stream and log out and have the stream continue to play. I tried
just using nohup and that didn't work so then I searched the archives and
found the post Gabor made a while back. I tried his method but this doesn't
work either.
is there a way I can run
mplayer
"http://www.live365.com/play/293353?membername=&session=kxlu1%3A0&SaneID=24.195.6.180-1039828265927&lid=511-usa"

in the background and be able to log out from my ssh session and still have it
run?

Thanks!

--  Steven Adeff

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 10:48:07PM +0100, Martin Hoffmann wrote:
> i'm trying to call mplayer from a shell script which runs in the
> background. Mplayer starts but waits until its turned into foreground (fg)
> - otherwise it will not play :-( Is there a way to make mplayer work in
> the background ? I don't need it's output on the console and i control it
> via lirc - so i don't want it in the foreground :-)
>
> Anyone ?

What about something similar:

mplayer valamivan.avi </dev/zero >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

Simple UNIX power ...
Sorry if I missunderstand your problem ...

- Gabor