[MPlayer-users] use of libavcodec option aspect= and -vop crop

Vladimir I. Umnov samba at ezmail.ru
Wed Feb 5 19:16:36 CET 2003

Hello, Eric.

EP> You do understand that if you encode with aspect, then mplayer is the
EP> only viewer that can correctly playback the resultant file, as
EP> has been stated many times on this list.  Much better to use scale IMHO.
It's not true. You may write ".bsi" file for Bsplayer and all works
fine. More over, many players can change aspect ratio manually.

I think using scale or not give different results on different source.
I try encode resident_evil and the fith_element. In first case aspect
give best result, but in second case I've to use scale (-sws 1, I like
sharper picture) because bitrate was too small to encode large
resolution.