[MPlayer-users] Command for stepping frame by frame

Struan Bartlett struan at NewsNow.co.uk
Wed Feb 5 11:46:46 CET 2003

Jose Romildo Malaquias wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>Hello.
>
>I would like to advance frame by frame when playing
>a movie with mplayer, and possibly have an indication
>of the frame being shown at each step. Is that
>possible? If yes, how?
>
>Is it also possible to affect the speed of playback
>of a movie, while the movie plays? Sometimes I want
>to play it slow, for instance.
>
>Romildo

I too wanted to be able to fast forward (and rewind) through a movie at
variable rates, preferably with the sound enabled (sometimes I'm looking
for some sound or music), like on a CD player.

On Ogle, there's a fast forward feature, but with no sound.

I tried a short hack to mplayer, to alter the 'playback_speed' setting
while the movie is playing. It worked fine, except that audio speed is
not adjusted, and the A/V sync is lost. That's a big 'except'! I'm not
well up on the code that handles the audio (timers, etc?), but perhaps
someone else has the know-how about how to get the audio re-synced after
the playback_speed returns to 1, or how to keep it synced while the
playback_speed is > 1.