[MPlayer-users] how to extract subtitles from dvd?

Martin Pavon martin_199ar at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Feb 4 18:00:05 CET 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 05:19:08PM +0100, Michal Seliga wrote:
> Hello
>
> I tried to extract subtitles from dvd, but I failed
> manpage say something about -dumpvobsub option, but mplayer complained it doesn't know it...
>
> what I exactly tried was:
> mplayer -dvd 1 -sid 1 -dumpvobsub
>
> Is this feature obsolete (and forgotten in manpage) or I did something wrong?
>
> I use mplayer 0.90rc3 with gcc 3.2 - sorry for no proper bugreport :-(

 mencoder -dvd 1 -vobsubout subtitles -vobsuboutindex 0 -sid 2 -o etc.

 (from $MPlayer/DOCS/encoding.html)

 -vobsubout basename of subtitles.idx (an index) and subtitles.sub the
 subtitles themselves in binary format (if you use the same basename than the
 avi file, mplayer load the subtitle automatically)

 -vobsuboutindex # the number of the subtitle; you can pack subtitles in
 sevarals language in one file and choose it with -sid (-sid = vobsuboutindex)

In the man page you can find this and others options for vobsub subtitles

Regards,

Martín

--
Martín Pavón