[MPlayer-users] mplayer on via C3 chips / epia mini-itx boards

Wolfgang Fritz wolfgang.fritz at gmx.net
Mon Feb 3 17:20:30 CET 2003

Jason Lunz wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience using mplayer to do TV-out on Via's epia
> mainboards? (http://www.mini-itx.com) I'm thinking about building a
> little media display box with one of these, but from what I've read
> these systems are at the edge of being fast enough.

I have an EPIA M6000 (600 MHz processor)

> My plan is to netboot the machine (so no hard disk), so the box would
> pretty much be doing only nfs reads and video display.
>
> Anyone have success or failure stories? Can it keep up with VCD mpegs?
> divx? DVD mpeg2 files? Is the video quality good on the TV?

- Board is too slow for DVD replay with mplayer. The MPEG accelerator
hardware cannot be used in Linux because of binary only drivers only for
certain distributions/kernels and no information about the programming
interface.

- Board is able to play DVD with mplayer via a Nexus-s DVB card.

- TV out (PAL) is not as good as I expected, but that may be a
configuration problem. The image on the TV is too small (black borders
abt 1 cm around the image). This applies to the RCA TV out. I did not
test the S-VIDEO output (no cable).

Otherwise it is a nice board. No problems to install Linux and running a
digital video recorder on it.

Wolfgang