[MPlayer-users] RE: MPlayer-users Digest, Vol 2, Issue 17

etienne gandhi gandhi.etienne at siemens.com
Mon Feb 3 10:12:32 CET 2003

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 21:38:14 +0000 (UTC)
From: Jason Lunz <lunz at falooley.org>
To: mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu
Subject: [MPlayer-users] mplayer on via C3 chips / epia mini-itx boards
Message: 12

Does anyone have any experience using mplayer to do TV-out on Via's epia
mainboards? (http://www.mini-itx.com) I'm thinking about building a
little media display box with one of these, but from what I've read
these systems are at the edge of being fast enough.

My plan is to netboot the machine (so no hard disk), so the box would
pretty much be doing only nfs reads and video display.

Anyone have success or failure stories? Can it keep up with VCD mpegs?
divx? DVD mpeg2 files? Is the video quality good on the TV?

thanks, Jason

------------------------------

Hi,

I have started to use a Via C3 (800 MHz) to build a movie box, with Mplayer
as Video/MP3 player and freevo as interface.
My video are 512x288 MPEG4 with MP3 sound, and speed is OK.
DVD can be jerky some time, but not enough speed ....(may be the 933MHz will
be better ??).

Now, the TV out is working in full screen, but quality need to be enhanched
a lot, as dark scene are hugly, not usable for the moment (I am affraid this
is not a software problem, but hardware problem !).
I have tye to use a VGA/TV harware converter, dark scene are better, but
movie is not perfect, we are still far from a movie box.

I will try a Dxr3 board on the C3 (there is 1 PCI slot), and I will share my
experience.

Bye.