[MPlayer-users] xvid and Divx5 in the same mplayer?

Mihai RUSU dizzy at roedu.net
Sun Feb 2 12:38:13 CET 2003

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> Arrg, sounds like you didn't read the readme and didn't install
> libavcodec!! If you have lavc, there's no point in xvid or divx5 for
> decoding. They're just slow and buggy. XVID might be useful for
> encoding, but divx5 is just junk (especially the linux ver).
>
> Rich

Hi Richard

If "by junk" you mean quality of encoding, I would like to run some tests.
People say that enabling the right options in lavc makes it encode with
good quality, oh yes, but with what ? 2fps ? compared to divx5 q=5 what
has 27 fps on the same system ?

I dont want to start a flame, I just want to find out the best combination
of encoder and hist options for getting the maximum of quality * fps.

I saw some tests on ffmpeg homepage and they all consider PSNR as the
quality quantification value. I have found on some nasa page a detalied
explanation and prasatation of this factor. I want to be able to compute
PSNR with divx5linux and even xvid. I want to compare with lavc.

Is there some tool I can use for this purpose ?

Mihai RUSU

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented within this e-mail are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of any company,
unless otherwise specifically stated.