[MPlayer-users] mencoder and avi limit (2Gb)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Feb 1 17:58:38 CET 2003

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 03:32:06PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > can mencoder check size of current destination #?.avi while compressing?
> >
> > mencoder quits when the file size is 2Gb.
>
> if it quites it means i/o error -> your filesystem/etc doesn't support >2gb
> files, it is not avi limirtation. avi limit is afaik 4gb but files van eb
> even larger but no index or odml index format.

would you bet? i'm not sure what the error message was, but i think it
indicated an application level error rather than a system level one.
i have a stock 2.4.20 linux running off of an ext3 partition - i'd think
that it supports large files. so provided you declared the correct
constants when including unistd.h, there should be no problems at the
file system level.
fwiw, the avi size limit is probably 4 gb in theory (as it would be on
every 32 bit fs), but some signed numbers always slip into the code if
it isn't constantly kept in mind. the mplayer demuxer page also states
2 gb, iirc. it also states that avi has some size extension - does the
muxer support it?

greetings