[MPlayer-users] Extracting AC3-sound as 6 seperate streams

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Mon Dec 29 07:00:38 CET 2003

> How can I extract (lossless) the AC3-sound from a DVD and output the 6
> seperate streams?

You can extract the AC3 audio like this:

mplayer [file] -dumpaudio -dumpfile out.ac3

I don't know whether mplayer can write six-channel output files, but you can
download a52dec (if you don't have it already) which will create a
six-channel .wav from the .ac3 which you can then ogg (search the mailing
list archives for how to do this.)

> (Trying to Ogg a concert DVD)

This is also explained in detail in the list archives.  Keep in mind however,
that since Ogg Vorbis isn't optimised for more than two channels, if you
create a six-channel .ogg it will actually be *larger* than the input AC3
file.  If you want to keep the audio, it'll be both smaller and better
quality if you just keep the extracted .ac3 file instead.

Cheers,
Adam.