[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer Menu with dxr3 card

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Tue Dec 30 15:35:59 CET 2003

Hi Ulrich,

on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:54:23 +0100 you wrote:

> DOCS/bugreports.html] Hi Albeu
>
> On Mon 29 Dec 03 20:41, you wrote:
>
> > > I am currently testing a box equipped with a dxr3 card and mplayer.
> > > If the -menu option is used, mplayer gets really slow - the menu is
> > > working but the movie or the file is stuttering so it cannot be
> > > watched anymore. Is the Menu converted in some format, mixed with
> > > the playing file and then decoded by the dxr3 card or is it another
> > > 'bug' why it is soooo slow?
> >
> > It is so slow bcs the video must be decoded, filtered (here to draw
> > the menus) and encoded again to mpg before it can be sent to the dxr3.
> > You probably need a quiet fast box to get that working at decent
> > speed.
>
> That does not make sense to me. You have to use a dxr3 card for viewing
> HQ mpeg2 on rather slow systems - but If you want a menu on mplayer you
> have to use a fast system anyway. That does not make sense....
> Why can't the menu be generated as a overlay, like the original dxr3
> software handles subtitles? That should work faster I think and has the
> same number of colors:-)

Some like these cards for there tv out. The realtime encoding allow you
to watch anything that mplayer play on your dxr3, it's no only for menus.

On a dxr2 i tried to encode txt sub to spu to make use of the overlay. But
i never managed to get anything displayed. The dxr3 is perhaps not so picky.
If you get to display your own encoded spu stream then adding support for
the menus shouldn't be too hard. Feel free to send a patch :)
	Albeu

--

Everything is controlled by a small evil group
to which, unfortunately, no one we know belongs.