[MPlayer-users] encoding problems after upgrade to 1.0-pre3

Tathagata Banerjee tathagatabanerjee at gmx.net
Mon Dec 29 08:14:16 CET 2003

i'm having to re-send this because no one answered the original post for
four days. someone please take notice, because this problem has stopped
all my encoding completely. i am now thinking of going back to 0.90.

i was using 0.90 for some time, and recently upgraded to 1.0-pre3. this
seems to have had a crippling effect on encoding. i understand very little
about video, or about the different mencoder options, but after going
through the list archives at some length, it seemed to me that this was a
good commandline for two-pass encoding from vob files:

mencoder -sws 2 -ovc lavc -lavcopts\
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=800:vhq:v4mv:trell:\
precmp=3:cmp=3:subcmp=3:vmax_b_frames=1:qpel:vlelim=-2:vcelim=7:\
lumi_mask=0.05:dark_mask=0.05:naq:vqcomp=0.7:mbcmp=2:psnr:vpass=x\
-oac mp3lame -lameopts q=0:aq=0 -vop crop=700:372:8:104 -o castaway.avi\
castaway.vob

sorry about the wrapping lines.

for some movies, i need to add -ofps 23.976, or the resulting video is
jerky, because of something called telecine which i don't really
understand. i'm doing most of this parrot-fashion, without understanding
what does what, because i'm quite ignorant about video.

now the above commandline used to work pretty well in 0.90, but it has
stopped working after the upgrade. stopped working in any useful way, that
is. the first pass goes through, but gives almost no compression.
castaway.vob was 5.2 gigs, the resulting castaway.avi was 4.8 gigs.
antz.vob was 2.3 gigs, antz.avi 2.1 gigs. this was not the case in 0.90,
where the same commandline produced an antz.avi that was less than 700
megs.

the second pass refuses even to get going. it takes a few seconds to read
the log files from pass 1, then exits with a segmentation fault. the exact
output (with -v) is attached herewith.

someone please take a look and tell me what's wrong.

my system is SuSE 9.0 on athlon 2100+ xp, Asus A7V8X mobo (Via KT-400
chipset), built-in sound, NVidia Geforce 3 Ti 200 AGP card, 256 megs of
ddr ram @ 333 mhz (running at 266 really).

- t.

--
cogito, ergo es.