[MPlayer-users] Error messages when encoding HDTV

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Sat Dec 27 14:05:41 CET 2003

> I have this problem with my GeForce4 MX. It's even noticable when playing a
> DVD in full-screen mode, but it gets much worse with larger source material.
> I wonder if it could be a problem with cheap hardware? The card also causes
> a LOT of bus interference... I can not only hear every screen update through
> my headphones, but frequently it's louder than the music.

Hmm...I wouldn't expect that problem to happen with a GF4 - it's not
overclocked is it?  Your AGP bus isn't overclocked?  If they're all running
at normal speeds it sounds like a real hardware problem, if it were me I'd be
sending it back for something like that (because that sort of thing really
bothers me ;-))

You shouldn't be able to hear anything though - are you sure you've got your
unused sound card inputs muted?  Surprisingly enough most of mine aren't too
bad, the noisest is by far the CD-Audio, with a close second being the PC
speaker.  As long as I mute those two inputs I can't hear any interference at
all.

> My old GeForce2 didn't have this problem, though of course it couldn't play
> anything much bigger than a DVD at full framerate.

Oh ok, that's unusual too - my GF2 can doesn't mind larger video sources, just
so long as the video width is less than ~1300 pixels (but my screen res is
1760 pixels across, and the xv overlay can stretch the picture that wide
without any troubles.)  I can actually see the HDTV images properly if I use
-vf scale to shrink them down to 1300 pixels wide, but of course then it's an
even slower slideshow than before - but at least I can see the slides ;-)

Cheers,
Adam.