[MPlayer-users] BUG: -vm and -vo xv crash

Jakub Argasiński argasek at tekla.art.pl
Thu Dec 25 13:55:02 CET 2003

Dnia 12/25/2003 11:21 AM, Attila Kinali naskrobał(-a) :
>  [snip ]
>
> Sounds rather like a problem with you X11 driver or hardware than
> a mplayer problem

Wouldn't agree it's hardware. It happens on both my sister's PC and
mine, tested on 3 different graphic cards (Geforce2MX, GeforceFX,
Ati radeon 9600pro), thus 2 different video drivers - well, I'm aware of
buggyness of both ATI/NVidia binary drivers, but I doubt they have the
same bug. I wonder whether it's not a Mandrake's build of XFree86 problem?

>># ---- OUTPUT -----------------------------
>>vo      = xv            # wybór sterownika wyj¶cia obrazu
>>ao      = alsa9:noblock # wybór sterownika wyj¶cia d¼wiêku
>>dr      = no            # direct rendering w³./wy³.
>

> why disabling dr ?

Because it makes a gray border around the video and,
additionally causes well known effect of drawing subtitles
onto previous ones (no matter double-buffering is on or not). It
also happens on both graphics boards (geforce/ati, different drivers)

>>fs      = yes	        # powiêksza okno
>>vm      = yes	        # próbuje dobraæ najlepsz± rozdzielczo¶æ.
>

> vm doesnt help much when you already use xv

It helps. When I play, let's say, 640x256 movie, it doesn't
get scaled to my desktop resolution (1152x864). And I don't mean
speed, but quality - I'm not a hardware expert, but hw scaling
looks like a kind of linear interpolation. Second thing is my
monitor: modes like 640x350 or 700x525 look awful, interlace is very
noticeable. I have even wrote a little patch to allow MPlayer only
choose from given set of resolutions (f.ex.: 640x480, 800x600, ...) (of
course, in this bugreport I use MPlayer without this patch).

>>double  = yes           # podwójne buforowanie
>
> is default anyways

Didn't know.

>>zoom    = yes	        # ?
>

> well, software scaling isnt a bright idea, you have hw scaling anyways

Quality of scaler problem mentioned above. Not only speed matters. It
makes a big difference for me in, for example, hq encoded anime movies.

>>pp      = 6             # PostProcessing dla zewn. kodeków
>>vf      = pp=hb:c/vb:c/dr/al:f,scale=640:-2,expand=-1:480:-1:-1:0
>
> using -pp and -vf pp together doesnt make much sense,
> also inserting software scaler when none is needed is rather stupid.
> and your expand doesnt make any sense to me if it's hardcoded
> like this into your config file.

It makes a perfect sense: due to such config, (I use different one for
DVDs) I get all DivX movies played in 640x480 resoltion:

1) scale=640:-2 scales to 640xY, where Y is proportional to original
movie's height
2) expand=-1:480:-1:-1:0 takes care of -vm's choosing of exactly 640x480
resoltion (because if scaled movie size is something around 640x300, -vm
  switches to 640x350 and then movie playback looks like sh... on my
monitor)
3) Maybe I'm wrong, but -pp specifies postprocessing level for external
codecs, while vf=pp handles internal ones. So what's wrong with using
them both, do they interfere in any way?

--
argasek at tekla.art.pl :: http://Today.tekla.art.pl
"Tym czego człowiek - w każdym wieku - potrzebuje najbardziej,