[MPlayer-users] Ripping a DVD to 2x 700MB AVIs with Mencoder

upgrdman at mindspring.com upgrdman at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 25 08:21:47 CET 2003

i have been using mencoder for years now, and i usually rip my dvds, and compress them to a single 700MB avi...but now i want to rip my dvds, and compress them into 2x 700MB avi's... the last time i tried this, the 2nd 700MB avi must have started after a keyframe, because it had that weird effect of a missing/corrupt keyframe. i suppose this is because when i had it start at a certin part, about half way through the VOB, it wasn't at a keyframe, and it was not smart enough to compute what my starting frames would look like by going to the previous keyframe, and rendering the successive frames until it got to the frame i wanted to start ym second 700MB avi at (i hope you understand what i mean)...is there anyway around this?

when i asked the above question in #mplayer/irc.freenode.net i got a coupple suggestions:

<Compn> upgrdman : encode the vob into 1.4gb avi then split with avitools ?

Well, i would rather not involve yet another program into my ripping process :(

<Compn> you can split avi using mencoder/mplayer too i believe

if i am not mistaken, that's how i got my problem in the first place, with the exception of recompression.... compressing a big VOB into two 700MB AVIs seems jsut like splitting up a 1.4GB AVI...with the exception of no recompression. wouldn't mencoder still have the problem of the start time i specifify for the second 700MB AVI not being exactly at a keyframe?

<Compn> use more keyframes?
<igla> :keyint=1

lol...i am sure that would drastically increase filesize or decrease the quality (due to the subsequent necessity to lower the bitrate)...in any case making total crap AVIs.

SOO...after reading all of that (thanks!) do you guys have any ideas of how i could solve my problem?

thanks again,

--farrell "upgrdman" farahbod