[MPlayer-users] SVCD from TV card

Torsten Römer troemer at swipnet.se
Wed Dec 24 06:49:44 CET 2003

rcooley wrote:
 > MPlayer is very flexible, it will play practically anything...

Actually MPlayer had problems, it was hanging every few seconds for a
short moment. Only Xine was playing it fine.

 > You wouldn't be if you read the docs...  -of mpeg is for mpeg1, not
 > mpeg2.

I read the docs. But the manpage and the HTML docs only mention MPEG,
never MPEG1 regarding the -of mpeg option.

 > Yes, mplayer has no problem playing an MPEG2 video inside an MPEG1
 > container...  You won't be so lucky with other players.
[...]
 > Yes, your DVD player doesn't like it because it isn't really an MPEG2
 > stream.

OK, that's clear now. I didn't know the container has to be of the right
format as well. If the docs could explicitly state that -of mpeg is only
good for MPEG1 it would be helpful for non-experts like me :-)

I will try transcode with ffmpeg. And I will also try your suggestion
dumping into separate files and then multiplexing them.

Thanks for your reply, it is very helpful.

Torsten