[MPlayer-users] linux dvdshrink type program using mplayer

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Dec 22 23:55:55 CET 2003

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:05:16 -0600
christopher j bottaro <cjb at cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

> DOCS/bugreports.html] how plausible would it be to use
> mplayer/mencoder to create a program like dvdshrink?

I think 1% would be fair...

> the main things dvdshrink does are:
> 1)  analyze the dvd:  find out which files make up the main title,
> menus, and extras
Mencoder doesn't determing what title is the main one or the extras,
nor does it understand menus, let alone preserving them for you, etc.

> 2)  allow the user to determine recompression ratio for each of those
> three things above
> 3)  do the recompression of those files

Well, mencoder could recompress mpeg2 files for you, but I'd be willing
to bet you don't actually want that...  You probably want a tool like
requant/ tcrequant/ M2VRequantizer (actually, they are all the same
thing).

> how would one go about doing those things with mplayer/mendcoder and
> possibly other linux dvd/video tools?

Many how-tos have already been written, so there's no point
in duplicating it here as well.