[MPlayer-users] Why not make an installer?

Ari Huttunen Ari.Huttunen at f-secure.com
Mon Dec 22 14:08:08 CET 2003

jason wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 13:27, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
>
>>This is really just an issue for distributions to deal with, and it
>>seems mplayer has no need to deal with this.
>

> seems that of all parties involved, the distributions have the easiest
> solution.  they simply build a version optimized for each cpu type they
> support (like suse already does with kernels) and install the
> appropriate one.
>
> assuming the user is motivated, there are two options.  update from
> latest distribution or learn how to compile it.

In case of mplayer the previous option is not too useful, because the
version compiled in a distro is almost certain to lack the features
that you want, like mp3lame. What makes this a real problem is that
you have to have mp3lame compiled before you compile mplayer for it
to work. *If* it was possible for a distro to contain mplayer compiled
in without such controversial stuff, and then you could compile in such
things yourself, it would work a lot better.

If I'm not entirely mistaken, Xine can add such plugins later. No idea
how it works, I've never compiled it.

Ari

--
INCONSISTENT TERMINOLOGY IS A SECURITY HOBGOBLIN
                                 <Stuart Holoman>