[MPlayer-users] Why not make an installer?

James Lancaster james at kirk.math.twsu.edu
Mon Dec 22 02:04:38 CET 2003

On Sunday 21 December 2003 15:14, you wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Disclaimer: I had all versions of mplayer running since 0.5 on different
> systems. I'm not saying it is any difficult for me to install.
>
> [Sorry can't insert quote-marks. Donno why]
> "It's not always as simple as ./configure, make, make
> install. IMO many people don't have the knowledge or patience to go
through
> the README. Even if it's not that fun to do it would make MPlayer
> considerably better."
>
> Yes, usually there are some packages missing. Especially the
-dev-packages. So
> "./configure, make, make" is seldom enough. But that's true for most
programs
> under linux and not spefic to mplayer. So I agree that a program like
> "InstallShield for Linux" would make more people use mplayer (or even
linux),
> but can't it be solved more genericaly than bothering the mplayer
developers
> with this?

This in my opinion is very wrong. One of Linux's greatest strengths is the
package managers *as they are*, contrast Windows: How many different
installers, and methods? I want you to install a piece of software on lets
say 3 different windows computers, now do it on linux. (ssh in and rpm -i
|| dpkg -i || emerge package-name || (heaven forbid :) ) pkgtool ) Now,
start expanding that to 10 ... 100 ... 1000 computers, and you see why
linux' package management is so much better than any windows package
management (also, note that there are a very few for windows that cost a
lot of money and give capabilities similar, but not as good)

If the distro is broken, which this would imply, then work on helping them
fix it, live with the bugs, or move to a different distro. The
Distribution should be responsible for dealing with the packaging of
mplayer (and not crippling it!), unless you decide to do it on your own
(in which case, you might want to try and get them official, so that more
people can benefit)

James L