[MPlayer-users] layer2.c + gcc 3.3.1 + -fstrict-aliasing -> 'underwater sound'

Henk Slager henk.slager at home.nl
Fri Dec 19 23:25:20 CET 2003

Hi,

I am using stock SuSE 9.0 32bit and 64bit on an Athlon64 platform and
found out that software based on mpg123 (e.g. MPlayer-1.0pre2) compiles
wrong if -O2 is used for the whole mpg123 0.59s package. No segfaults or
so, but there is a strong  'underwater soundeffect', especially when the
source has quite some mid-and hi frequencies.

If -O1 and all extra O2 optimisations except -fstrict-aliasing is used,
than it is just right. The problem originates from the file  layer2.c  and
thus affects MPEG1/(S)VCD content. It does not occur with stock SuSE 8.2
(gcc 3.3 20030226 prerelease).

I wonder if the same happens with gcc 3.3.2 or newer; Anyone experienced
it ?
Any tips on how to find the tricky/wrong sourceline or should I blame gcc
3.3.1. ?

Greetz, Henk