[MPlayer-users] DVD -> DivX encoding - a/v out of sync. Advice please.

Alain Barthélemy cassandre at bartydeux.be
Thu Dec 18 23:20:19 CET 2003

BUT ONLY A/V SYNC PROBLEM IN X SERVER (NOT IN PURE CONSOLE).

mplayer-OPre1
SuSE-8.2
AMD-Athlon2000
Video (integrated): SIS 650/651/M650/750 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
Sound: Ensoniq 5880 Audio PCI

Thus I have 1-2 seconds image delay when I encode from a DVD (not from TV signal).

Same image delay when I read directly the DVD with mplayer.

I spent about 2 weeks to try to solve the problem. No obvious indication to
solve my problem in the Web, in the mailing-lists or in the manual.

Thus:

mencoder dvd://1 -mc 0 -noskip -skiplimit 0 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1500 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128:vol=5 -o
temp.avi

To my surprise, I have no image delay (1-2 seconds) if I read the file in pure
console mode but well an image delay if I read it in an X environment (KDE or
Blackbox or WindowMaker). No delay in a Windows XP environment too.

Thus there is problem only in an X-environment.

Has anybody encounter that kind of problem just to know if it can be solved.

I have absolutely no a/v sync problem when I encode from a TV signal (with a TV
Card). Thus it is only a DVD <-> mplayer <-> X problem.

Any suggestion is welcome.

--
Alain Barthélemy
cassandre at bartydeux.be