[MPlayer-users] mplayer in slave mode

Adam Rice adamrice at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 16 21:56:52 CET 2003

Quoting Corey Hickey (bugfood-ml at fatooh.org):
> Actually, 0.92 is really old, and considered obsolete as far as any
> development is concerned. Try out 1.0pre3 or the latest CVS and see if
> your problem still exists.

Then why is it still on the website? 1.0pre3 is clearly superior to 0.92, and
its one showstopper bug has already been fixed. Why not call it 1.0 and then
bring out 1.1 in a month or so based on current CVS? Here, I'll even write you
a press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

The Internet -- December 16, 2003 -- MPLAYER, the Linux media player renowned
for high performance and sarcastic developers, today reached its milestone 1.0
release. This release includes numerous new features, and performance and
stability enhancements over the previous 0.92 release. In particular, MPlayer
now

* Supports all major video and audio codecs, including Real Player, Windows
Media, and Quicktime. Some proprietary codecs are supported via their binary
DLLs.

* Runs on all major operating systems, including Windows, Mac OS X, and
FreeBSD.

* Includes processor specific optimisations for Intel, AMD and PowerPC
processors.

* Supports hardware acceleration on NVidia, ATI and other popular graphics
chipsets.

* Can render directly to supported graphics cards, bypassing the X Window
system for optimal performance.

* Has over 100 pages of detailed, incomprehensible documentation.

* Violates numerous patents and the DMCA, is possibly illegal to distribute
and/or use.

Senior developer Arpi was reported to be delighted with the new release, and
said "MPlayer 1.0 is already obsolete, you should all be using G2."

ABOUT MPLAYER

MPlayer is media player cobbled together from various sources by a bunch of
rogue techno-anarchist geniuses and Europeans.

ABOUT LINUX

Linux is an operating system originally developed by Europeans but now
maintained by a team of crack American coder-commandos and a Welsh guy. It is
brought to you by IBM, Red Hat and the letter "W".

FOR MORE INFORMATION

See http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

--
Adam Rice -- adamrice at ntlworld.com -- Blackburn, Lancashire, England