[MPlayer-users] Tools for mpeg* to DVD

Danny Bogaards danny at boware.nl
Tue Dec 16 10:06:39 CET 2003

> What would be the "right" tools for making DVDs with AV sync from
> various material (mpeg1/mpeg2/mpeg4)?
>
> HR

Hi HR,

I changed the subject, I hope you don't mind?

I use mencoder as my personal VCR. Timer based recording, website frontend....
fantastic! I have it recording mpeg4 using vbitrate(s) between 700 and 3000.
700 for quick recording (or when I still want to work on the PC whilst recording).....
3000 for when I want to author the recording to dvd.

When I actually want to make a dvd, I'll put all avi's in one dir and run a script
which makes all those avi's to mpg's suitable for burning to DVD. I mostly go
to sleep when I start the script ;-)

The main work is done with transcode:
transcode -V -y mpeg2enc,mp2enc -E 48000 -F8 -w 8000 -b 128 -export_asr 2 -i input.avi -o output
mplex -f 8 -o output.mpg output.mpa output.m2v

When there is a slight AV desync, I re-run the mplex command with:
"-O -100" appended to it, to correct -100ms desync. If I encounter desync, I never have
more desync then +100mS ..... -100mS

I experimented with dvdauthor to make the vob's and directory structure for dvd, and it
works fine. When I want to make nice menu's etc. I use TMPGEnc DVD Author,
which runs fine in wine.

--
Kind regards,
Danny Bogaards