[MPlayer-users] AVI 2 SVCD

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Dec 15 22:58:31 CET 2003

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:54:39 -0200
Andreas <andreas at conectiva.com.br> wrote:

> I tried once use mencoder to generate a mpg file, but it didn't work:
> vcdimager didn't recognize it and even hinted that it might be an avi
> file instead.
Ummm...  I'd say you forgot to tell mencoder to generate an MPEG file.
-of mpeg, the option you should have been using, has been in mplayer for
a long time now.

I've created several VCDs using only mencoder and vcdimager.  On the
down-side, the mpeg generated by mencoder is not aligned properly, so it
wastes about 100MB when vcdimager has to pad it.  (no padding needed
when using tcmplex, but read below)

With SVCDs (and I've done it with VCDs) you need to dump the audio and
video to files, then mux them together.  Unfortunately, 90% of the time,
audio and video will NOT stay in-sync with this method, so I haven't
been doing much SVCD/VCD making with mencoder.