[MPlayer-users] dxr3 H+: subtitle -sws 2, doesn't work correctly for eg 576x432 divx, sub lines missed/cutted on tv at the bottom

Thomas Kranz tkran2002 at yahoo.de
Sun Dec 14 17:57:54 CET 2003

Hi mplayer users,

I need help or an working example for my problem:

I have here a movie with a sub file with more than one subtitle line and
the following problem:
I beautified the output with the expand command:
-vf expand=-1:-1:-1:-1:1
(old one -vop expand  - outdated).
and
-subfont-text-scale 5 -fs -sws 2

First I don't understand the command options completely (expand and scale options) and second I have to change them,
because it doesn't work correctly with my dxr3/H+ card and the 720x576 resolution at maximum.
I know that the divx movie is transcoded to mpg and then the softscaler overlays the subtitles.
I also read the mplayer manpage/docs with no success. I'm using mplayer-1.0pre3.
My movie is 576x432 divx. Output on -vo mga (Matrox G400,VGA) is great and correct,
but at the tv-out from the dxr3 the subtitle is cutted at the bottom and only one line is visible.
I played with different mplayer parameters but nothing worked.

How to solve this problem ?
Any working examples would be great for every dxr3/H+ owner and please explain the
expand/scale parameters more user friendly so that I could fix this by my own.
Positioning the subtitle by -subpos y  -subalign 1 doesn't change anything.
I don't know why, they're seemed to be ignored ?

thanks,
Thomas