[MPlayer-users] MPlayer consumes 30% of my Athlon XP 2200! plz help help lower this!

Horváth István suti at nuk.teteny.elte.hu
Sun Dec 14 17:19:02 CET 2003

> dave giffin wrote:
> > So MPlayer shouldn't take up nearly as many of my
> > system's resources as it does.
>
> This is debatable. A couple of years ago, DVD playback on my 700MHz
> Athlon with xine was so bad I had to buy a separate DVD player. Nowadays
> with mplayer it only takes around 60% CPU, and I consider myself lucky.

just for fun: about half year ago dvd playing with mplayer consumes 50% of
my PIII 1000 EB, after upgrading libmpeg2 to the current version on the
same system (i didn't changed my hardware configuration) tooks 35%, but
some days before i also upgraded to the current cvs, and now it takes
maximum 30% of my cpu :)))
these guys do a really good job, aren't they? if they will continue in
this way, after a year ...... :)))

>  >                                 Including esd and
> > XFree86, I'd like to get playback with mplayer on my
> > system to work with no more than 10% of my system
> > resources. How can I do this?
>
> > Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX (Built Into Motherboard
> > AGP)

of course i didn't told, that my grafics card is matrox g400, and using:
vo=xvidix:mga_crtc2_vid.so in my config...