[MPlayer-users] a/v sync problems with MPlayer1.0pre2 & esound-0.2.29

dave giffin givdav01 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 14 10:11:17 CET 2003

I compiled MPlayer1.0pre2 a few days ago b/c I needed
quicktime support and couldn't compile that for
MPlayer-0.9. I now have quicktime support working.

But, when I run esound (esd) so that multiple programs
can access my sound card (/dev/dsp), something I
really need to do, I have terrible sync issues, the
audio is about 2 seconds ahead of the video.

I've tryied using -autosync 30 and -autosync 100. With
-autosync 100, the sync isn't off by more than a few
tenths of a second. Using -cache 8192, which I usually
do to try and prevent dropped frames due to delayed
disc access, makes no difference in the sync problem.

All the MPlayer dependencies and other software and
all the hardware on my system is the exact same as it
was when I was still running MPlayer-0.90 which worked
fine as far as A/V sync is concerned (though I
couldn't get it to support quicktime)

So it would seem that esd and possibly
MPlayer-1.0pre2's interface to it is/are responsible
for my sync problems. What should I do?

My System:
Athlon XP 2200
MPlayer-1.0pre2 (formerly MPlayer-0.90)
esound-0.2.29
OS: Debian Sarge
Sound: NVIDIA Nforce Soundcard
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
XFree86-4.3

I tried playing with the 'audio_delay' command from
'slave mode', and sometimes could get it about right
for some videos after a while. I was wondering, when I
enter the audio_delay in seconds, is that absolute, or
is it added to the previous audio_delay I entered?

I need to use 'esd' because I want to be able to have
multiple mplayer instances playing audio onto my
soundcard simultanesouly. And, I want to be able to
control the volume setting for each instance. Which,
at least with esd, I can only do for the first mplayer
instance.

:)