[MPlayer-users] mencoder ignoring cmdline bitrate options?

Joe Neeman joeneeman at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 14 07:26:28 CET 2003

>i've been having issues with encoding xvid movies with mencoder.  it
>seems like mencoder is ignoring the cmdline option that specifies the
>bitrate, and i'm getting a bit frustrated.  am i doing something wrong?
>
>here's the command lines i'm using:
>
>mencoder dvd://1 -alang en -oac copy -ofps 23.976 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
>:pass=1:bitrate=1600: -vf scale=688:384 -passlogfile 1-pass1.log -o
>/dev/null
>
>mencoder dvd://1 -alang en -oac copy -ofps 23.976 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
>:pass =2:bitrate=1600: -vf scale=688:384 -passlogfile 1-pass1.log -o
>1-incomplete.avi

I've had similar problems encoding to mpeg1 (-ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=1150) seems to give me variable bitrate instead
of constant (using a recent CVS version). I have been using resizing filters
as well, so that _could _ be the problem.

>windows didn't like that one (i've heard it's because the dimensions
>aren't in multiples of 16 though haven't yet confirmed it)

this should depend on the codecs rather than the operating system.
mencoder/mplayer tends to be more flexible with stardards than other
software, so maybe it has encoded your video into a slightly nonstandard
format.