[MPlayer-users] How to instruct mplayer to enable postprocessing with mpegpes? (NOVIRUS)

Fri Dec 12 19:33:23 CET 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:

DRFI>> Well, what cpu do you need to use level 6? ;) Mine 2ghz athlon can't do
DRFI>
DRFI>A 386 will do, considering that I'd only use it for encoding and not
DRFI>for realtime playback. Anyway the levels are very different. Low
DRFI>levels only perform the dct/threshold/idct process at spread-out
DRFI>intervals, whereas high ones perform it at every second pixel. I don't
DRFI>know if using low levels could lead to blurring, but it will certainly
DRFI>leave behind quantization artefacts that get translated around by
DRFI>motion vectors.

No, with higher level blurring only increases.

Try some low-quality animation encoded with high quantizers. Yes, I
agree that on high-quality video spp works well, but the same applies to
pp, and even in that case picture after spp is a little more blurred
than with pp.

--

Vladimir